In the spirit of Spring, I not only thrive in channeling my inner Danny Tanner (turbo cleaning machine), but I also love organizing. There is nothing like having a place for everything at home- and having it done in style! Organizing can make life so much easier and allow your home to operate much more efficiently. In all honesty, how many of us often spend extra time searching for something we’ve misplaced? Or find ourselves flustered by clutter?
But before you spend your money on pricey, commercialized organization systems, there are stylish, economical organizing hacks that can be accomplished using simple household items. Don’t have these items at hand? No biggie- just pop into your nearest Dollar Store the next time you’re out. Savings and style? That’s what I’m all about!
1. Repurpose Magazine Holders. This is such a clever and versatile hack! The storing possibilities are endless! The flip flop bin? C’mon! Admit it- you’re impressed! I know I am!
2. Put A Lid On It. Your thinking- why haven’t I thought of this before? Sorting through pot and pan lids gets old fast! This creates an easy system to locate the one you need and saves on space so your cabinet isn’t bursting at the seams.
3. Get A Handle On Plastic Bags. Plastic bags. We all have them and they come in handy for a lot of other needs once they have fulfilled their shopping destinies. But rather than organize plastic bags in another plastic bag, repurpose on-hand items, like empty tissue boxes and wipes containers to provide practicality and style.
4. Round-Up Your Junk Drawer/Cupboard. There is always that one pesky catch-all drawer in the kitchen. It’s the land of the unknown. Who knows what lies within. But you can create purpose and function to this drawer with a simple solution by using some labels and utensil bins. Add character by spray painting or wrapping in a fun printed paper.
5. Sort it Out. Laundry sorting is something we don’t typically enjoy, but has to get done none-the-less. Create an easy sorting system using laundry’s most obvious companion- the laundry basket. Add labels to make this system even more user-friendly! Hey, maybe the kids and even the hubby would catch on. One can only hope.
6. Quit Your Wining. We received a wine rack as a wedding gift, but contrary to my Irish ancestry, we actually don’t drink alcohol, including wine. As you may know, I’m more of a chai tea lover. But I am in love with this idea of converting your unused wine rack to store bathroom necessities. I especially love the towel rack hack! I just like my towels rolled up- I do not know why.
7. It’s the Small Things in Life. Tackling tiny organization presents a challenge. Staples, rubber bands, paper clips…one can go mad sorting through these things when they have no designated space. This eliminates that problem! One less headache to worry about! Use a muffin tin or ice tray to keep small things in their place!
8. Marvelous Mason Jars. I simply adore mason jars! I will try to fit as much as I possibly can into a Mason Jar. Seriously- with so many ideas, it was hard to narrow the examples down to only 3! I could have dedicated an entire blog post about them! Maybe I should!Truly the MVP of organizing hacks!
9. Be Crateful. Crates are another creative way to keep away the clutter. Organization doesn’t have to mean cookie-cutter plastic totes. Bring a rustic charm to your organization- something that looks as good as it is functional. As someone who has quite the impressive collection of wrapping paper, this hack is perfection!
10. Life’s A Beach. One summer staple dollar store gem are those multi-colored beach baskets. These are commonly used to tote around towels, sand shovels, and sun screen. But here, they also serve the purpose of toy bins. Label or color coordinate for simplicity. If you live in a house with stairs, this will help your kiddos tremendously! We all know how toys migrate from the bedrooms to the living room. That’s why I’m particularly fond of the idea to label a basket for each kid and place them on the steps. Then at the end of the day, they can collect their toys and carry them upstairs.
So many of these hacks are affordable, decorative and functional. Don’t overthink and become intimidated by organization. The keys to optimal organizing is to be creative, simplify and streamline. Conquer the clutter and enjoy the clean!
The Humble Homemaker